What will I study?
- The History Time Machine (stopping at 16 points in History)
- Plains Indians study
- Piracy study
Throughout all units students will develop their key history skills, including:
- Understanding chronology
- Source and interpretation analysis
- Prioritising different factors and reasons
Black Peoples of America
- Jack the Ripper
- Women's rights
- Universal suffrage
- The First and Second World War
- The start of the Cold War
Throughout all units students will have the chance to develop their skills learnt in Year 7.
- The Holocaust
- What life was like for Jews before the Nazis came to power
- How Jewish lives changed after 1933
- A study over time into health and medicine
- How factors have played a role in the development of medicine, surgery, hospitals, public health and attitudes towards disease
- Giving students the independence to undertake their own research topic
- An introduction to important skills including footnoting, using information critically and time management
Year 10 & 11
Health and Medicine
- Embedding knowledge learnt in Year 9
Germany 1890 - 1945
- Germany under the Kaiser
- The impact of the First World War
- Democracy in Germany in the 1920s
- The rise of Hitler and the Nazis
- Aspects of life in Nazi Germany
- Conflict and tension in Asia 1950 – 1975
- The consequences of the Korean and Vietnam Wars
The Normans 1066 - c1000
- The events of 1066
- What life was like in Norman England
- A case study of a relevant historical environment, for example Durham Cathedral or Pevensey Castle
How will I be assessed?
GCSE Exam Board: AQA
- Two 2-hour exams at the end of Year 11
- Paper 1: Germany and Conflict
- Paper 2: Health and The Normans
What else can I get involved in?
What career could I have with a qualification in History?
What can I study with a History qualification?
Courses you could study at university include:
- Teacher Training
What career could I have with a History qualification?
Careers which require a History qualification include:
- Academic Researcher
- Heritage Manager
- Historic Buildings Inspector
- Museum Education Officer
- Museum / Gallery Curator
- Museum / Gallery Exhibitions Officer
When the school has to close during term time or when we have students who have ‘enforced absences’ (for example who are shielding or self-isolating during the COVID-19 pandemic), we provide work to ensure that learning continues.
While at home you will be set work in line with your normal timetable in school.
Please check the Google Classroom for your class and access learning materials and complete any work that has been posted there. If there is no specific work for you there, then you should access the work linked below during your lessons, while at home.