What will I study?
Following a period of investigation, you will develop your own brief and produce a final prototype demonstrating your ability to respond to a problem. A keen interest in all things design is a must as is a genuine ability to problem-solve.
You will be assessed on your ability to explore, design, make, analyse and evaluate.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a 2-hour-long examination.
There is a mixture of short answers, multiple choice and extended response.
You will be assessed on your knowledge of product analysis (short answer) and commercial manufacture (extended response).
There is a mixture of up to six short answer questions and two extended response questions.
Non-Exam Assessment (NEA)
You will be assessed through a controlled assignment.
The brief will be written by students.
Further Education and Careers in Product Design
Courses you could study at university include:
- Building and Surveying
- Mechanical Engineering
Careers which require a Product Design qualification include:
- CAD Technician
- Clothing/Textile Technologist
- Colour Technologist
- Exhibition Designer
- Furniture Designer
- Interior and Spatial Designer
- Product Designer
Please complete the work below which will prepare you for your studies.
- You need to explore the work of Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies Van der Rhoe (architects).
- Produce a detailed case study on each architect, identifying and explaining what they drew influence from and how they have influenced modern design.
- Examples of their work should be studied with detailed analysis of the materials, features and appearance of the work.
- Work should be done electronically, either on a new Google Slides document and shared with Mr Joughin (email@example.com) or emailed directly.