Have you ever watched the news and wondered how people can understand all this stuff? Maybe you’re already fascinated and love to debate political issues.
Studying Government and Politics will give you an understanding of the political ideas and system in the UK and the USA.
The skills and knowledge that you develop through this course are useful in themselves as they will empower you as citizens and give you a much better understanding of the world in which you live. As a basis for work or further study, this qualification is extremely valuable and well respected.
Grade 5 in GCSE English Literature or English Language
What will I study?
Politics in the UK
- Political parties
- Elections and electoral systems
- Voting behaviour
- How people vote
The Government in the UK
- Role and powers of the Prime Minister, Cabinet and Parliament
- The judicial system in the UK
- The Supreme Court
The Government and Politics of the USA
- Politics in the United States
- How the USA is run
- Comparisons between UK and US politics
- The key issues in Britain and the USA today
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by 100% examination (three exams at the end of Year 13).
The exams are 2 hours each.
What else can I get involved in?
For information on all our enrichment opportunities, please see our enrichment programme here.
Further Education and Careers in Politics
Courses you could study at university include:
Careers which require a Politics qualification include:
- Civil Service Fast Streamer
- Government Social Research Officer
- Policy Officer
- Political Risk Analyst
- Politician's Assistant
- Public Affairs Consultant
- Public Relations Account Executive
- Social Researcher
Please look at this work which will prepare you for your studies.