This exciting course and will equip you with the fundamental tools that all musical theatre performers require as performing arts practitioners.
This course will prepare you for life as a triple threat performer. You will be able to play to your strengths as well as develop other areas to be the best you can be.
You will explore a wide range of different styles of musical theatre works such as rock musicals, concept musicals, juke box musicals - examples may include Six, Hamilton, Grease, Matilda, Les Misérables, Wicked and Book of Mormon, to name a few. You will take part in discipline specific workshops where you will be able to refine your acting, dancing and singing skills.
You will also learn how to develop techniques and transferable skills such as characterisation, different acting styles, projection, energy, communication with audience and combining acting, singing and dance skills in development and rehearsal. Investigate and develop knowledge of the work of key practitioners which will inform your work and help develop research, critical analysis and extended writing skills. These practitioners include Andrew Lloyd Webber, Lloyd Newson, DV8, Jerome Robbins, Lin-Manuel Miranda and many more.
You will explore and develop technical performance skills in a range of styles leading to numerous practical performance opportunities in our well-equipped performance spaces. Collaborate with others to create devised performance work using all your skills and techniques.
Grade 4 in GCSE Performance OR Merit in BTEC Level 2 Performance
What will I study?
- Unit 1: Investigating Practitioners Work
- Unit 2: Developing Skills and Techniques in Live Performance
- Unit 3: Group Performance Workshop
- Unit 27: Musical Theatre Techniques
- Unit 4: Performance in the Community
- Unit 5: Individual Performance Commission
- Unit 6: Performing to Live Audience
- Unit 22: Movement in performance or Unit 19 Acting Techniques
In addition to EC units
- Unit 7: Employment Opportunities in the Performing Arts
- Unit decided based on the learners
How will I be assessed?
Courses are assessed through a mixture of internally and externally assessed units.
Approximately 60% are externally marked.
What else can I get involved in?
For information on all our enrichment opportunities, please see our enrichment programme here.
Studying subjects together?
Diploma: Acting & Dance/Dance & Musical Theatre/Acting & Musical Theatre
- Equivalent to two A Levels, this course will allow you to deepen your Performing Arts knowledge base and skills even further
- Whilst covering the content of our Extended Certificate course, you will gain the specialist knowledge and practical experience of two performing arts disciplines in combination
- You will have the opportunity to explore performance in the community by applying specialist skills and techniques to a community performance project
- You will undertake an individual performance project responding to a special commission and developing an exciting piece of individual performance work in response to your brief
- You will put all your skills together in a final large scale group performance to an invited audience in the Fells Theatre, our largest and most well-equipped performance space
Extended Diploma: Performance (Acting, Dance & Musical Theatre)
- This course is equivalent to three A Levels and is perfect if you wish to fully commit to a career in the performing arts industry
- You will cover all the content of the Extended Certificate and Diploma course, developing your skills in all three disciplines of performance – acting, dance and musical theatre
- You will develop your skills in all three areas and have many varied opportunities to perform throughout the duration of the course; working on scripts, devising pieces and putting on full scale exciting musical theatre productions in our Fells Theatre in front of an audience
- As a committed performing arts practitioner you will also be equipped with the knowledge of how the performing arts industry works, how organisations function and how to promote yourself to potential employers
- Our Extended Diploma course will also offer you the widest choice of additional units to develop more specialist skills
Further Education and Careers in Musical Theatre
Courses you could study at university include:
- Drama and Theatre Studies
- Media Studies
- Photography and Film
Careers which require a Musical Theatre qualification include:
- Community Arts Worker
- Drama Therapist
- Music Producer
- Music Therapist
- Theatre Director
If you would like to further your knowledge, you can access independent learning work here:
Please look at this work which will prepare you for your studies.
Our previous students have progressed to further study at various Performing Arts schools, universities and conservatoires around the world, before starting a career in the industry.
See below for examples of where our students have studied and where they have appeared!