I hope that this finds you and your family safe and well?
I wanted to get in touch and update you all on the current situation in school. We continue to set work for all of our students via Google classroom, provide care and support for vulnerable students and the children of key workers in school and provide face to face support sessions for groups of Year 10 and 12 students on a day to day basis.
We have also received some really positive feedback about the recent live tutor group sessions that have occurred in Years 7, 8 and 9, where we have checked in with the students to see how they are getting on.
I assume that you are already well aware that the DFE has published the guidance for the full opening of schools from the beginning of the Autumn term.
The link below will take you to the full guidance produced for parents and carers to help reassure you about what to expect for your children when we return after the summer holidays. The document is very detailed so I have written down the key headlines below:
- Schools and colleges to open in full from September.
- Limits on attendance will be lifted and mandatory attendance will be reintroduced to allow schools to open at full capacity.
- Schools to deliver their full curriculum, ahead of exams next summer.
- Restrictions on group sizes will be lifted.
- COVID-19 secure measures will remain in place to reduce the risk of transmission.
- Children to be in Year ‘bubbles’ and older children to be encouraged to keep their distance from each other and staff. This is alongside protection measures such as regular cleaning, hand washing and reducing the use of frequently shared items.
- Continued access to testing and advice from local health protection teams where there are positive cases in schools.
- Schools to teach a broad balanced curriculum in all subjects and make use of existing flexibilities to create time to address gaps in knowledge.
- Teachers to distance from each other and older students where possible and everyone to minimise contact in corridors.
Obviously, we have only just received the guidance and we will now start our planning for the return of our students in September. As always, the safety of all our staff and students remains the ultimate priority and focus whilst putting these plans in place and once we have made sense of the guidance I will email the full details to you. In the meantime, please read the DFE document as I am sure it will answer many of the questions that you may have.
I also want to confirm arrangements for the final week of term (Monday 13th – Friday 17th July) as we have made one or two slight changes:
- The provision for vulnerable students will remain open as normal until Friday 17th July at 12:15pm. The government has confirmed that no schools will be open for this provision during the summer holidays.
- Year 7, 8 and 9 students have the opportunity to take part in an ‘Activity Week’ and Mr Hughes has already sent full details to all parents. I hope that students will find the daily activities enjoyable and a great way to end what has been a challenging term.
- Year 10 students will be set focussed work in their option subjects only to help set them up for these crucial subjects in September.
- Year 12 students will take part in a ‘Progression Week’ with a focus on reflections on the term and planning for their future. Mrs Taylor and Mr Fox will be in touch with full details.
Soon we will be in contact with the Year 11 students, who are interested in joining South Craven Sixth Form next year. The Year 11 to 12 transition video will give them all the information and details they need about the recruitment process and life in South Craven Sixth Form. Before the end of term, I will also be directly in touch with Year 11 and Year 13 parents to inform them of what will be happening on results’ days this summer. Year 13 students will receive their results on Thursday 13th August and Year 11 will receive theirs on Thursday 20th August.
Thank you again for your support. I hope you have a lovely weekend and I will be in touch with more details about September soon.