We aim to introduce learners to the childcare sector.
We provide the knowledge and understanding of child development and wellbeing - a necessity for working with children in a variety of settings.
Learners will gain an insight into their preferred learning styles and assist in developing their ability to study. They will become prepared for further learning or training in the childcare, health or social care sectors.
What will I study?
Developments of Children from Birth to 5 Years
- Physical development
- Communication and intellectual development
- Social, emotional and behavioural development
- Pattern of developments
- The factors that contribute to development
- Methods early workers can use
- How to share observations with colleagues to promote development
- The importance of confidentiality and recording accurate infromation
Health and Wellbeing
- The care needs of individual children
- The importance of supporting the health and wellbeing of the child
- How to encourage and maintain good hygeine and hygiene routines
- How to safeguard children
- The importance of routines for everyday care in supporting children's development
- Recognising the importance of a secure base for children's development
- The transitions experienced by children and the possible effects
- How to support children through transitions to provide consistency and reassurance (including the role of the key person in the early years)
Working in Child Development
- The variety of settings available for children
- The differences between the voluntary, private and statutory sectors and the range of provision within the area
- The expectations of placements (including appropriate dress, behaviour, timekeeping and positive attitudes)
- The responsibilities and limits of the role of the early years worker
- The importance of treating children with fairness and equality and how to do this
- The different learning styles that people use and how to identify your own preferred style and study skills
How will I be assessed?
- Exam Board: NCFE / CACHE
- 50% Coursework
- 50% Examination
What career could I have with a qualification in Child Development?
What can I study with a Child Development qualification?
Courses you could study at university include:
- Social Work
What career could I have with a Child Development qualification?
Careers which require a Child Development qualification include:
- Community Development Worker
- Further Education Teacher
- Health Promotion Specialist
- Health Service Manager
- Medical Sales Representative