It is very important that you are organised and attend each day with the right equipment. You can help by making sure that you have a weather resistant bag, large enough to carry A4 folders, with the following:
- A pencil sharpener
- A pencil
- A ruler (30cm long)
- An eraser
- At least one pen (it is always useful to have a “spare”) *Pens should be blue or black ink, roller or ballpoint
- A pair of compasses
- A protractor
- A calculator
- A few coloured pencils
- A notepad (this will be to record homework in until the iPad Scheme has started)
We also expect all Year 7 students to bring a reading book to school every day.
During your first term, your parents will be given an opportunity to sign up to our iPad donation scheme, or you will be allowed to bring in your own device. Your school iPad or your own device will be used during lessons and to record your homework.
The devices will be one of the main ways that we communicate with you and your parents. If used properly, it will help you to be organised and to succeed. The device MUST be brought to school each day and used in every lesson.
Whilst the delivery of iPads is in progress, students will be expected to use a notepad to record essential information.
You can buy key equipment from the Learning Resource Centre (LRC) in the Fells Building here at school.
You can buy almost anything you need from the LRC, including pencils and pens, highlighters and maths equipment.
The use of tablet devices in the classroom has transformed how students learn here at South Craven. We hope that all students will have access to a device (not a smartphone) for learning. Teachers combine the more traditional elements of learning with this new digital technology to make learning more varied and interactive. Students are given access to a range of digital applications which include;
- Online planner app to help students and parents to view timetable, organise coursework and monitor homework.
- A virtual learning environment (Google Classroom) provides students with access to learning resources before, during and after lessons.
- Note-taking applications for recording and organising your written work.
You can find out more about the Bring Your Own Device Scheme (BYOD), and joining the iPad Donation Scheme here.